inhalation sedation (Nitrous Oxide)
Nitrous Oxide Inhalation (Laughing Gas) is used to achieve a mild level of relaxation. It has been the primary means of sedation dentistry for many years and primarily used when treating children.
It is a sweet-smelling, non-irritating, colorless gas which you can breathe. It is very safe, easy to use, comfortable, and allows the patient to breathe normally and remain in control.
advantages of using Nitrous Oxide
- The depth of sedation can be altered at any time to increase or decrease the level of sedation
- There is no after effect such as a “hangover”
- Inhalation sedation is safe with no side effects
- Inhalation sedation is very effective in minimizing gagging
- It works rapidly as it reaches the brain within 20 seconds. In as little as 2-3 minutes its relaxation and pain minimizing properties develop
- There may be some mild amnesia experienced and the patient may fall asleep, not remembering all of what happened during the appointment