Home Care Instructions For Veneer/Crown/Bridge Reconstruction
Depending on the extent of your rehabilitation, from a single tooth to full mouth, it will take a few days to adjust to the feel of your new bite and smile. When the teeth and/or bite is altered or the position of the teeth is changed, it usually takes a few days for the brain to recognize the new thickness or position as the new normal.
During the initial adjustment period, you may experience the following:
- Mild speech alteration
- An increase in salivation
- Hot/cold sensitivity
- Sore or irritated gums
You will quickly adapt to the treatment and these should all return to normal within a few days. To help with the above, refer to the following:
- You may rinse with warm salt water 3-4 times a day to help reduce the gingival (gum) discomfort and/or swelling.
- Sensodyne toothpaste may be used to help reduce tooth sensitivity.
- If you detect any high spots or problems with your bite, don’t hesitate to call for an adjustment.
- Control pain using non-aspirin medication such as Motrin or Extra Strength Tylenol and refer to the product label for directions.
The restorations placed are subject to the same wear and tear as your natural teeth and care must be utilized to protect them and ensure many years of success. Always follow your dentist’s instructions and refer to the following to aid in minimizing any complications:
- Daily plaque removal is critical for the long-term success of your new dental restorations. Brushing, flossing, and using a mouth rinse are a must to help maintain your new smile.
- Keep all recommended follow-up appointments as well as regular check-up/cleaning appointments.
- Any food that can crack, chip, or damage your natural teeth can also damage your new teeth. Avoid overly hard foods as well as sticky candies.
- Foods such as coffee, tea, and red wine as well as smoking can stain your natural teeth as well as your new restorations.
- A mouth or night guard may have been recommended to help protect your new smile, especially if you grind or clench your teeth. Wear as directed.