Home Care Instructions Following Oral Conscious Sedation
1. The patient must be driven directly home from the office after the appointment.
2. Please call the office when the patient arrives home and is safe and comfortable.
3. A responsible person should be with the patient until s/he has fully recovered from the effects of the sedation.
4. The patient may seem alert when s/he leaves the office. This may be misleading, so do not leave the patient alone.
5. The patient should always be assisted when walking. Hold the patient’s arm.
6. The patient cannot drive for 24 hours after taking sedation medication.
7. The patient must not operate any hazardous devices or do any heavy lifting for 24 hours after taking sedation medication.
8. The patient should not make any important decisions while sedated or for 24 hours after taking sedation medication.
9. The patient should remain on the ground floor and not go up or down any stairs unattended until fully recovered.
10. Having the proper nutrition after sedation is very important. The patient should begin eating appropriate food as soon as possible. Do not delay.
11. The patient needs to drink plenty of fluids as soon as possible after the appointment and must stay hydrated.
12.The patient should not carry, sleep next to, or be left alone with young children for a period of no less than 24 hours after the last dosage of medication.
13. No sedatives or stimulants should be taken for 24 hours after the appointment (including alcohol, caffeine, or nicotine).
14. Call us if you have any questions or difficulties. If you feel that your symptoms warrant a physician and/or you are unable to reach us, go to the nearest Emergency Department immediately.